What Type of Student Am I?

Admission to the College is open to anyone who is at least 18 years old or has a high school diploma or equivalent. In addition, under certain conditions, the College allows some high school students to take college credit courses while still enrolled in high school.

Students admitted to Merced College are characterized into these main student types:

  • Still in K-8 or High School - K-12 students are students in Kindergarten through 8th grade or those in High School (except graduating seniors).  See our K-12 Students webpage for how to enroll at MC.

  • A Senior about to graduate High School - A graduating High School senior who will be attending MC as a new college student (even if student took courses here while in High School).  Complete an application now.

  • An International Student - A student who is not a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident of the United States. International students usually need an F1 or J1 visa to study in the United States. See our International Students webpages for more information.

  • An Undocumented Student - By definition, an undocumented student (immigrant) is a foreign national who: (1) entered the United States without inspection or with fraudulent documents; or (2) entered legally as a nonimmigrant but then violated the terms of his or her status and remained in the United States without authorization (as defined by the National Immigration Law Center). In contrast, a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) is defined as a person who was granted the right to live permanently in the United States. An LPR is a “green card” holder that is allowed to legally work and live in the United States. See our Undocumented Students webpages for more information.

  • A First-Time MC Student - A student who will be attending Merced College for the first time.    Complete an application now

  • Returning Student After an Absence - A student who has already completed coursework here at Merced College, but has been away from MC for one or more semester. Returning Students must file a new application for admission.   Complete an application now

  • Continuing Student - A student who is currently completing coursework here at Merced College. Continuing students may register for classes through the MC Portal. See information about Priority Group Dates for registering.

More Information

If you need help determining which student category you fall into, or if you have any questions, please contact the Admissions & Records Office.